Before we start, here is a quick index of the “How to Get Started” series:
- Things to Think about Before You Start;
- What Is a Mile or Point Worth?
- Is Your Credit Going to Take a Hit?
- What Credit Card(s) Should You Get?
- How Do You Keep Track of Everything?
- What Else Can You Do to Increase Your Mile & Point Balance?
As a beginner, you might find that there are an overwhelming number of travel-related credit cards out there. In the past year or two, credit card sign-up bonuses have become so good that a general rule of thumb is NOT to apply for a card unless you get at least $500 (which generally means 50,000 miles/points). Some of the best offers last year all came with 75,000 or 100,000 sign-up bonuses. To help you answer the question “What credit card(s) should you get?” I am going to start by giving you a quick rundown on the three different types of miles & points credit cards.